Fashion designers, listen up! Anime Festival Orlando is offering you the chance to showcase your talent and let the world see your unique designs. The Streets of Harajuku is a fashion show for upcoming and established designers to take Japanese fashion themes and turn them into their own. Draw your inspiration from the alternative fashion districts in Tokyo: take the styles of Gothic & Lolita, Fruits, Visual Kei and even traditional items such as kimono and create your own designs for a demanding public.
And of course, we’re going to need models to show off these creations!
- Street Wear (Kogal, Kodona, Fruits, School Uniform)
- Gothic & Lolita (Sweet, Country, Gothic, Traditional, and such)
- Visual Style (Japanese Rock, Punk, and such)
- Culture Shock (Take traditional Japanese clothing and run wild with it)
We ask every designer to create unique garments. Please do not submit “costumes” or copies of established designers’ work. This means that lovely Angelic Pretty dress you saw and recreated for last year’s convention can not be submitted to the show. Be original, even if it is sticking to the traditional style of the fashion. You can always put your own spin on it.
A selection committee will review all submissions. The committee will have no knowledge of who the designer is so that each entry is judged on the merits of the designs.
Selected designers will provide the completed garment shown in the photos. Designers will work with their models to determine who will provide accessories and shoes for the garments.
We would also like to encourage plus size designers and models to enter as well as male models. Many of us strongly believe that good fashion should fit all shapes and sizes and should not define a person’s gender.
Designers are welcome to submit garments they have previously created as well as take up the task of making all new pieces just for the show! But remember to be realistic. You have about two and a half months to complete everything.
Designer Application Form
Model Submission Form
Important Dates & Deadlines:
- Monday May 14, 2007 – Applications and sketches / photos are due.
- Friday May 18, 2007 – Designers and models will be selected and notified.
- Sunday May 20, 2007 – Designer and model meet and greet (not mandatory, but the best chance to make sure you get to work with the model you want!)
- Thursday August 2, 2007 – Formal dress rehearsal.
- Sunday August 5, 2007 – Day of show!
I plan to have another meet and greet in June as well as an informal dress rehearsal and mandatory practice for all models one weekend in June and another in July. Designers are welcome to attend these and use this opportunity for fittings and whatever else you may need to do in person.
E-Mail any questions to the Fashion Show Director.