ofstasheepy wrote in egl

Germany- Lolita friendly?

I have a question for any German lolitas, or from surrounding areas who would know.

I plan on studying in Germany in a year or so, and I'm wondering how safe it is for a lolita there. I visited for a couple weeks last spring and felt pretty safe, but at the time I was wearing more toned down goth clothes and was always with people.

I'm a girl, very small, and wear lolita, so I'm constantly paranoid living here in the U.S.
If I do go to Germany I'll be living alone, and I'll be wearing lolita as often as possible. I'm just worried that I won't be safe. I know in general it's a pretty safe country, but I'm not sure how far they are with tolerance and such. Here I often get people yelling things from cars, staring at me all the time, and I can't walk around by myself after dark without being terrified, even though I live in a nice neighborhood. I'm just not sure if Germany is like that.

Obviously I know to avoid creepy places, alleys, trains at night, etc. but as I'm really not familiar with the country and may end up living in a big city, I want to know.

Oh, I don't know yet if I'll be living in a big city or a smaller one, so how do they differ? Is one safer or more tolerant than the other?

If someone could tell me of their personal experiences or what to expect/do/avoid etc, that'd be really helpful.