milkteamilk wrote in egl

Getting a musty smell out of hard-to-wash clothes?

A few months ago I bought an older Lolita dress, and it arrived smelling a bit musty, and I've just been completely unable to get the smell out!

Normally I would just wash the heck out of it, but this particular dress is black velvet and it has a very detailed pleated hem, so I'm afraid if I did that I'd pretty much destroy it. I've hung it up to air it out for a while and the smell has gone away quite a bit, but it's still there. Does anyone know of any tricks to get this musty scent out of the dress that wont harm the fabric or sacrifice the pleating? I've been searching online but most everything involves soaking and washing the clothes in question, which isn't going to work for this dress.

Has anyone had any success in getting the musty smell out of clothes that didn't involve a soak and a wash?

And for the record, it's this dress.