Clau (lolicaor805) wrote in egl,
Clau
lolicaor805
egl

Hello EGL!
There have been posts on stripping umbrellas and replacing the fabric to that of our liking, but I didn't find an actual step by step tutorial, so here it is!

First off, I got an umbrella. I liked this one because it had a lot of beams to it. The more beams there are, the more pieces you'll have to cut out and sew. Remove all of the fabric, saving one piece to use as the pattern. For some reason I did not save the tips, but save these as you will need them later to finish the parasol!


Next, cut your pieces out. I selected a black polyester fabric that would be perfect for lining. Make sure you pick a woven, non-stretch fabric and cut along the grain that the original piece is. Include  sewing allowance all around the piece!



Next,sew the pieces together, always right sides against each other. I used a serger to sew them together to have a strong seam, but you could use a straight stitch and zigzag the edges or do a french seam.


continue to sew them together until you have sewn all the pieces together. Be sure to leave the center open so that you can poke the tip of the umbrella through. Be careful to sew them all right sides together, or you'll have to rip and redo the seam, like it happened to me. Once you are done, finish the edges by doing a hem.


Now you could stop here, but Black is a little plain, so lets do apliques! I cut out gothic arches shapes out of every triangle, and zig zag the edges that will later be filled in with black mesh. Use a tight but open zig zag stitch to finish the edges and avoid fraying of the fabric.


Now cut out triangles out of the mesh! I cut mine a little bigger than the holes I cut out so that they overlap. attach them by using a zig zag stitch, but this time it doesn't have to be as tight.


Lets add more stuff! I cut out roses out of a lace fabric. Truth is you could have used lace instead of mesh, but i felt the knotted lace would not hold up to the tugging of the fabric each time that the parasol is open. I positioned the roses on top of the cut out, and stitched them using a zig zag stich. One alone looked really silly, but once that each panel was finished, it looked a lot better.



Once all of the panels are finished, prep the beams of the parasol. If you are using tips, then all you'll do is attach them and sew the parasol to them, but since I did not have caps for some reason, I covered the tips with hot glue so that they wouldn't cut through the fabric.


For the next step, I tried simply folding the tips of each panel over the edge and stitching it by hand, but when I was done, some of the tips poked right through! I had made my panels a bit too short to not use tips.


There's hope yet! In order to substitute the umbrella tips, I made little pockets out of black ribbon, one for each tip. The ribbon pockets will cover the tips, and I was able to stitch the fabric to them. It also gave me a little more length so that the cover was not too small for the parasol anymore!


And here's the finished product! The parasol doesn't curb in as much as it did before the change, but it is very beautiful anyway. You could add a lot of things, such as lace and ruffles, or you could use a beautiful fabric alone. I hope this helps you!

*Edit- I though about making this for sale, but truth is that if you put together shopping for the materials and putting it together, it amounts to a whole day of work, and I could not sell something like this for less than $80.00, which is what anybody would pay for a brand parasol, but it is a great project that can be put together with relatively little investment in money, and lots of patience and dedication. I'm a fast sewer and it still took me no less than 7 hours to make it (with little breaks in between).



Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 15 comments