exggirl (exggirl) wrote in egl,
exggirl
exggirl
egl

Sewing Post (picture heavy)

Hi this is Leslie, the other half of Excalibur Girls (we share this sewing journal.) And I'm posting because I am so elated to be finished with my most recent project!




This coat took me much longer to finish than anticipated because I kept running into problems (in fact I think this is the longest I've spent on any single sewing project.) I spent about a week re-dyeing venise lace the perfect shade of grey because my batch of fiber-reactive dye was bad--on the first mix it turned pink when filtered, then green, then blue. Next I found that the embroidery designs I was going to use for the crown emblem and scepters weren't going to work with the coat's dimensions, so I started from scratch, drawing new designs and digitizing over 17,000 stitches by hand. The digitizing process took an entire month.

Dyed Venise Lace & Scepter Embroidery




Hand Embroidered Buttons


Crown Embroidery

The filigree/lattice pattern in the embroidery designs doesn't show up well in photographs.



The Finished Coat






With the Detachable Fur Collar




With the Collar & the Mantle






Once I started sewing up the actual coat the rest of the project went very well, despite interruptions. And I'm pretty happy with the outcome, especially the color scheme--I'm dying to make something black and grey for myself.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 61 comments
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →
Previous
← Ctrl ← Alt
Next
Ctrl → Alt →