In response to this thread in the previous modpost, I am wondering whether there would be a need/interest in a community devoted to archiving stockphotos. Although there is currently a Flickr account, it seems to be relatively unorganized.
My vision for this community would be:
- Posting access would be limited to mods only, except for comments.
- Each brand would have one post, in which people would post the stockphotos for that brand. One mod would be in charge of each brand's section, and it would be up to that mod to regularly update the post so that it is organized. In the case of AP, for example, they could list items by series, and under each series, either post the photo itself or link to the comment in the post where that photo was posted. For other brands, it could be organized by date released or by category.
- It would not act like an actual community, therefore preventing requests. There could maybe be a "request thread" or something.
- Everything would be tagged, organized in memories, etc. Anything to make hunting as efficient as possible.
The obvious limitations of this are:
- It depends entirely on the contributions of members.
- LJ is not a tool designed for photo hosting or sharing. Photos would have to continue to be hosted by the Flickr group or elsewhere.
- LJ is not a tool designed for archiving. However it does allow for sharing the workload more than an individual website would.
- It wouldn't necessarily cut down on the amount of stockphoto requests on egl, but it might make for quicker response time.
- Individual photos would not be searchable. Nor would you have thumbnails to easily browse.
So my questions are:
1. Do you think this is a necessity that should be filled?
2. Is this a good way of filling it, or is there something better that we can try?
3. If we went ahead with such a community, what are your suggestions for it? How could it best be organized?
I'm only suggesting this because it seems like a possible solution. I mean, it would be so much better if somebody with the skills made an actual Flickr-like database devoted only to lolita, which had categories and a search function and tags and all that we could ever want. But barring that, if you can think of a better idea, please feel free to share.