Tutorial: Bustle Over Skirt
I've been doing commisions for this oeverskirt for some time now and so far, I have very positive feedback. As much as I'd like to take in more commisions, I also like to share what little knowledge I have with the community. This is the first tutorial I've ever made, so if you don't understand something or have a question, please don't hesitate to ask.
What you need:
1. at least 2 1/2 yards of material. preferrably 3 yards just to be safe.
2. sewing machine
3. seger (optional)
4. sewing stuff (obviously)
Pattern - I've divided the pattern into four. please note that the measuremnts I am using is for a 17.5 inch length. if you wanna make it longer/shorter just add/subtract and inch or two from the ruffles and main skirt.
1. Main skirt
4. Waist ties
1. cut your fabric horizontally. You will need 2 peices of 12 x 44 fabric. (the fabric above is folded up in the middle.)
2. take one of the peices and fold it in the middle. measure 9 inches from the edge then cut it diagonally (next pic)
3. Cut it in half and you should have something that looks like this
4. Attach the these to each end of the other peice. you should have something that looks like this one very long peice.
Set that aside.
1. cut 4 peices of 6 x 44 fabric and attach them together. you should end up with one very long peice.
2. Gather the top part of the fabric.
You should end up with something like this
take both ends, cut it diagonally and hem.
3. take your main skirt and attach the ruffle to it. Be careful about the corners. serge together if you have a serger.
<---- corner picture
4. one you're done, you should have something that looks like this
5. take this and gather the top part to whatever waist measurement you wanna make. in this case I'm making it for a 30 inch waistline. set this one aside.
cut a 6 x (waistline + 1 inch) fabric. fold it like so and iron
Turn in both ends and sew
Now you are ready to attach the main skirt between the folds of the belt. Try to chainstich it as close to the edge as possible but be careful and always check the backside to make sure the back is stitched properly.
cut 2 peices of 8 x 35 inches fabric. Take one peice and fold it in half with the wrong side showing.
stitch the fabric with one end slanting diagonally keep the other end open.
cut the excess fabric and turn it itnside out. Top stitch the edge. repeat this for the other peice.
Attach the waist ties to the belt. I'm not sure if you can see it clearly but this is what I do to attach wait ties. it's kinda hard to explain so I'll let the pictures do the talking.
and here is you final outcome
phew... that was a lot of pictures to upload. I can never explain it good enough with just words so I took actual pics in hopes that you can understand the steps better. A few tips for beginers, It would be easier to use a fabric with an allover pattern instead of this horizontal pattern first. and practice with cheap fabric first, don't make the same mistake that I did. to fellow seamstresses, I hope this would inspire you. Have Fun!!!
anyway, my next tutorial would be the under bustle skirt that looks like this... although it might take a while for me to upload it.
something I made just a few hours ago...